The Weekly Gnuz & Lynx Roundup for 2013/04/21
G’day, such as it is. Last week was incredibly bad, especially with the tragic events of 4/15, and I’ve nothing new to add to the discussion that you probably haven’t seen already.
I’ve lately posted this for Caturday, but decided to delay this posting till Sunday, which turned out to be fortuitous: I’ve just today completed a book titled The Invisible Gorilla, on a variety of cognitive illusions that we all experience daily and ways to mitigate them.
I’ll be posting a preliminary review on Goodreads tonight with a more comprehensive treatment later this week on this blog.
In a nutshell, the book deals with the illusions of attention, memory, confidence, knowledge, causation, potential and lastly, tying them all together, the illusion of intuition, that by which the others so often fool us.
I’m also going through a copy, borrowed from library, soon to be replaced by one I buy for myself, of Copi’s Introduction to Logic, which is proving to be incredibly interesting.
So. Much. To. Learn!
Also, the most recent Fractals of the Week post got Mentioned on Twitter this morning by @symbiartic, and that’s just cool, just as long as I don’t let it go to my head… Thanks, Glendon!
Here’s hoping for all of you that this new week is better than last, so be well and be brilliant!
Namaste, to all my peeps.
- Doctor Who – The Doctor – Alone This is one of the best Who tributes I’ve seen.
- We are verbs. Why I think that labels are a poor descriptor of people…
- Fractals of the Week: Monstrous Mandelbulbery More foolishness with fractals via Mandelbulber…
- Carl Sagan’s thoughts on the existence of Aliens Sagan’s frankness on this is to be admired…
- Douglas Adams on Time Well Spent A fractal quote of the author of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and a former writer for Doctor Who
- Caturday’s Astronomy Pix for 2013/04/14-20
- Reason, Reasoning & Unreasonableness II Here, I tie together some loose ends left by this post, and the first Reason, Reasoning, & Unreasonableness.
- Marie Curie on Understanding A fractal quote of the co-discoverer of radioactive elements.
- Karen Gillan for z’Ombéal: SAY NO TO BRAINS This PSA is a bit of undead humor by the actress of Dr Who companion Amy Pond..
- Thomas Insel Toward a new understanding of mental illness
- Elyn Saks — A tale of mental illness from the inside A moving story by someone who’s had it far worse than I. This one’s worth watching.
- GLAM – EasyBib A handy resource for making a bibliography for proper article documentation
- Cat Thursday — Scams & Hoaxes Cute kitties, and resources for avoiding or foiling online scams
- The Ocean “Anthropocentric” Good metal, via the mighty Left Hemispheres blog
- Friday Link Dump 4/19/13
- Jindal — Teach the Controversy Steve Novella roots out the fallacies of Bobby Jindal’s support of so-called ‘academic freedom’ laws.
- Predicting the Future
- Two-headed pig spared in China Strange but rather cute, the unusual pig’s bacon is saved…
- Watch out for hoaxes and malware that take advantage of tragedy A useful warning post-Boston Marathon bombing for those of us online…
- 126,726 steely gazes cast by all you keen-eyed peerers since 2008/12/28,
- 1,871 comments approved so far…so close…,
- 2,066 posts published, including this one,
- 190 WordPress subscribers,
- 2,003 Twitter fellows,
- 235 Tumblr fellows,
- …and 18 Likes on this blog’s Facebook page
Thanks, much, all of you!