What’s That, #OrsonScottCard? You Want Some Cheese With That Whine?
This started out as a comment on a FB post by my friend Anneliese, @Anneliese777 on Twitter, and kind of just mushroomed on its own from there.
Oh, heavens me, Ender’s Game author Orson Scott Card is playing the persecution card over a boycott of the upcoming Ender’s Game movie.
He’s made a plea for reason to prevail and that his hatred of those in the LGBT community never gain him the sort of unthinking intolerance of his intolerance that just might cut into his profits.
I find it rather ironic, and humorous.
One does not simply exercise their Constitutional rights without any consequences befalling them. Nowhere in the Consitution does it say, nor even imply, that the rights contained in the Bill of Rights are absolute or without limit.
Rights carry with them responsibilities, including that to bear the consequences of what we say and do. Our rights and freedoms to not allow us to infringe on the rights and freedoms of others. Your rights end where another’s begin.
One of the tasks of any governing body in a free society is to protect those in society unable to protect themselves from others in that society who would impose upon or harm them. Democracy is not just about majority rule, but also minority rights.
You are not being persecuted when others get the same rights you have always enjoyed. You do not get to scream ‘PERSECUTION!!’ when you are part of a privileged majority and people are criticising you — and exercising THEIR rights — for what you say and do.
No more free pass, no more ‘get out of jail’ Card, Orson Scott.
Nowhere in the Bill of Rights is there any such thing as immunity to criticism. If you cannot bear the consequences of what you say and do, then you should do the ONLY thing that will get you no criticism from anyone — say and do absolutely nothing.
Don’t like that? Tough sh*t. Welcome to reality.
You are not being persecuted, Orson. If you don’t like hearing what people say, then STFU yourself. After all, it’s a choice, isn’t it?
You’re not being persecuted, Mr Scott Card, just being a privileged whiner who can’t take criticism and doesn’t want to face responsibility for your antiquated notions of sexual orientation.
Congratulations for being on the wrong side of history. The notion that you should have rights and special privileges and bear no responsibility for the consequences of using them isn’t concern for your liberty — It’s f**king childish.
Grow the hell up.
- Orson Scott Card Wants Your ‘Tolerance’ for His Anti-Gay Views (theatlanticwire.com)
- Poor Hateful Homophobe Orson Scott Card Is Tired of Being Picked On (slog.thestranger.com)
- Orson Scott Card Responds to Ender’s Game Boycott With Ironic Plea for ‘Tolerance’ (wired.com)
- Orson Scott Card waves a sullen white flag on gay marriage to thwart ‘Ender’s Game’ boycott (comicsbeat.com)
- Orson Scott Card Pleads For “Tolerance” (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- Orson Scott Card Hopes You Won’t Hold His Anti-Gay Opinions Against ‘Ender’s Game’ (slashfilm.com)
- Author Orson Scott Card Responds to ‘Ender’s Game’ Boycott (aceshowbiz.com)
- Books: Newswire: Ender’s Game author Orson Scott Card issues plea for tolerance of his intolerance of gays (avclub.com)