The Weekly Gnuz & Lynx Roundup: 2014/06/22
So, here I sit at my desk this morning, listening to sitar music and feeling rather…different (this post’s embedded video below). This last week has been quite interesting, and definitely had its moments. I made it to the library this week for the first time in several weeks, which was good, only to discover that my cell wouldn’t call out, a problem that was as frustrating as it was quickly fixed once it was figured out.
Thursday, there was a GURPS game at my place, and I finally got to meet the ebil Nimbus the kitten, @Ravenpenny’s adoptee, while Nimbus got to meet Eccles and Rockykins, who both took some getting used to him. After the game and post-game cleanup was complete, I had a recording session for a podcast episode, and finally got some rest. I went to bed early that night, partly because I was worn out, and partly to get enough sleep to make my daylight hours on Friday a bit more useful.
Friday evening I went to bed earlier still, and did some study before drifting off to sleep, only to have a retrieval practice session the next afternoon, completing that until another next week. I’m currently studying my course lecture notes using Peek, and in the process of setting up notes from new lectures as well in the current format.
My DVD set of #Cosmos episodes came in today, and in this installment of the Weekly Roundup, I’ve linked to an interview with the writer and executive producer of both the earlier and new versions of Cosmos, the unspeakably awesome Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan. She’s a remarkable woman, with equally remarkable insights, and her writing shows rather evidently in both Carl’s and Neil Tyson’s dialogue in the show’s earlier and current incarnations.
This week has also been awesome for videos, as with the latest Epic Rap Battles linked to below.
The Blogs Roundup
- Sir Isaac Newton vs. Bill Nye — Epic Rap Battles Ike Newton outnumbers both of his opponents in this special appearance of “Weird Al” Yankovic as Newton…
- Wordless Wotan’s Day: 2014/06/18 with ebil cats doing cat things, and Rockykins nursing his fluff-anger issues…
- Fractals of the Week: Collages du Jour a selection of recent collage pieces
- Death Is Not Final | IntelligenceSquared Debates on I am Troythulu
- Numbers Confuse Americans on the Checkerboards of the Gods
- 42 and Douglas Adams on the Exohuman Journal
- Labeling Argument Strategies & The Fallacist’s Fallacy on The Impudent Algorithm
Roundup of The Other Blogs
- Ravens N’ Pennies: Gamemaster’s Guidepost: Ritual Mass Combat
- Sharmishtha Basu’s Poetries | Howling Wolf
- Token Skeptic | The Science of Opera with Stephen Fry and Alan Davies
- Laughing in Purgatory: This Atheist’s Father’s Day
- The True Book Addict | Cat Thursday – Cats in Art (2)
The Odd, the Strange & the Sciencey
- This Movie About the Grandfather of Debunkery Looks Amazing
- Daniel Dennett On “Four Steps to Arguing Intelligently”
- “Why is God telling me to stop asking questions?”: Meet the woman behind Neil deGrasse Tyson’s “Cosmos”
- BBC News – Dinosaurs ‘neither warm nor cold blooded’
- University of Alberta professors apply for vice-chancellor’s job in clever, educational stunt.
- Deepak Chopra embarrasses himself by offering a million-dollar prize
- Here’s How to Prevent Fake News from Spreading on Social Media
- A Rather Embarrassing Night for Psychic Sally in Middlesbrough
- Teenager builds browser plugin to show you where politicians get their funding
- Here’s Why You Should Be Excited About The James Webb Space Telescope
- Opinion: We Could Find Life on Another Planet. Do We Have the Will?
- Take This Test And Find Out If You’re A Fascist
- NeuroLogica Blog » Inflation Evidence Questioned
- Here’s What Earth Looks Like From Space On The Summer Solstice
- Skepticblog » Ken Ham’s ark is going down, going down, going down…
- Renaissance-Era Drawings Reveal Early Ideas About Evolution
- OK Go’s New Music Video Is Made Up Entirely Of Optical Illusions
- Simulating time travel: Doctor Who meets Professor Heisenberg
- 10 Scientific Ideas That Scientists Wish You Would Stop Misusing
Weekly Stats (This Blog Only)
- Entries Currently Posted: 2,206
- All time Page Views: 146,157
- Weekly Page Views: 167
- Facebook Likes: 30
- Twitter Fellows: 2,154
- Tumblr Fellows: 595
- Comments Approved: 2,165
- WordPress & Email subscribers: 245
Transglobal Underground – Khalghi Stomp