In a slight rephrasing of an old Carole King song from the 1970s, that’s a good formulation of what happened earlier yesterday — while at the library at the time, I felt the building shake from the first quake I’ve experienced in many years — a 5.9 on the Richter scale quake, to be exact.
At first thinking it might be the effects of a powerful explosion in the vicinity, I found out only minutes later, after one of my friends somehow managed to contact me by cell, the true nature of what had happened.
It seemed as though, especially just after it, getting calls out by cell-phone was highly problematic, and I was lucky that someone was able to contact me first… That suspicion has since been confirmed.
All in all I found it rather neat, save for the damage that had been done nearer to the epicenter of the quake.
It was the most powerful quake on record in Virginia.
Fortunately, none of the local nuclear power plants experienced any mishaps like the tragedy at Fukushima, Japan, so that was a big relief.
And to think, all this before the hurricane scheduled to come ashore this weekend — not a happy situation, but nonetheless interesting.
A couple of news pages, [Here] and [Here] give a good rundown on specifics, with a video embedded from Phil Plait‘s YouTube channel of sensor readings of the seismic waves rippling across the US from my home state of Virginia presented below:
- I feel the earth move under my feet (heartacheintobeauty.wordpress.com)
- Earthquake. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- I felt the 5.9 EarthQuake from VA. in CT. !!! (napman57.wordpress.com)
- East Coast quake causes major cell service disruptions (money.cnn.com)
- Virginia earthquake waves ripple across the US! | Bad Astronomy (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Millersville University expert calls quake “impressive” (pennlive.com)
- The Earth Quake… (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Earthquake! (06880danwoog.com)
- 5.9 Earthquake Rocks the DC Metro Area (therogersrevue.wordpress.com)
- Why Virginia Quake Shook Entire Coast (livescience.com)
- Earthquake Aftermath: Residents Of Virginia Farming County Repair Damage (huffingtonpost.com)
- Quake rocks Washington area, felt on East Coast (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- How Buildings Stay Up When the Earth Shakes [Video] (gizmodo.com)
- Twitter explodes as 5.9 magnitude earthquake hits Virginia, Washington D.C., NYC (digitaltrends.com)
- I Felt the Earth Shake Under My Feet . . . (ceceliafutch.wordpress.com)
- East Coast earthquake: Are D.C. buildings as quake-proof as the ones in L.A.? (slate.com)