G’day! This week, I prepare for guests to visit sometime this October, and part of that involves working on efficient study techniques, some of those involving mnemonic devices, a recent one I’ve put together I use to remember a sequence of numbers for the months of the year in the Gregorian calendar.
It’s a simple, grammatically discernible, memorable, but in fact nonsensical phrase: “Chennai, no less, may later shun Ray.” In this simple phrase is the number sequence 6, 2, 2, 5, 0, 3, 5, 1, 4, 6, 2, 4, encoded into each separately pronounced consonant sound, ch, n, n, l, s, m, l, t, r, sh, n, and r, for the months from January to December.
You see, there’s a neat little parlor trick I’m practicing on to improve my mental mathematics chops: Calculating, from a month code, a weekday code, and a year code, the day of the week for any date in recent history, at least after the adoption of the Gregorian system of dates, upon which the reasoning for the calculations is based.
I’ve kind of abandoned the use of mnemonics for language studies, and focusing mostly on retrieval practice and spaced repetition until I improve my ability for mnemonics in other areas. Some things you just have to know in themselves, and can’t simply be encoded, not unless you’re really good at it….which, I am not.
Next month, beginning later this week, I resume full study of Bengali, as right now I’m revising previous material while studying other subjects and working on lecture notes from my courses as well.
- सरस्वती (Sarasvatī) : A Painting! | Vikram Roy’s Blog
- The True Book Addict | HFVBT: Spotlight on Donald Michael Platt’s Bodo, the Apostate
- Cats vs Zombies. Yes. You Read That Correctly | Optimal Human Modulation
- To Labor No More: A Short Farce of Automation (Maybe Like Our Future) | S. A. Barton: Seriously Eclectic
- 170×170 Day 146 23.9.15 Dark Stories | The Lotus of Fire
- Different Strokes | windupmyskirt
The Odd, The Cool, the Gnuz, & the Science
- In My Opinion, Most Scam Victims Are Naive, Not Stupid
- More Sad Remains of the Soviet Buran Space Shuttle Program
- What Edward Snowden Got Wrong on Eavesdropping on Aliens
- This Concept Art Makes Us Want a Dune Animated Show Right Now
- A “Natural Cure” for Eczema Leaves A Young Child in Agony
- Rumor: Pope Francis Said It’s Not Necessary to Believe in a God?
- Two People Play 20 Questions by Reading Each Others’ Thoughts
- Exposed “Healer” Popoff is Back to Take Your Money
- 44 Reasons Creationists are Deceptive: Final Installment
- MSU’s Jack Horner Recognized as One of World’s Top 24 Scientists
- T. S. Eliot Reads “The Naming of Cats” 1947
- Researchers Isolate the “Human Smell of Death”
Weekly / Monthly Blog Stats:
- Posts Currently Published: 2,436
- Total Pageviews: 163,519
- Comments Count: 2,369
- This blog’s Facebook Likes: 40
- WordPress & Email Subscribers: 292
- Tumblr Fellows: 1,292
- Twitter Fellows: 2,278
Fearless Collective – Bonded, not Bound, Dharavi