As of this post, I’m taking a holiday break from posting on this site until next Monday morning. Have a great…well whatever it is you happen to celebrate, and I’ll see you when it’s all over.
Keep reason this season! ;-)
The year is drawing to a close, and our rationalist holiday of Festivus, or if you prefer, Newtonmas, is almost upon us, may Randiclaus’ beard remain white and well-groomed during this season of reason!
One thing us more skeptical types have noticed for many years now is the abject and persistent failure of those claiming psychic abilities to accurately predict anything important in a way not involving attempts at post hoc reasoning and special pleading to support, or just throwing random guesses using vague criteria of what counts as a success.
Well, with 2011 coming to an end, here is a run down of the year’s psychic predictions, and how they went horribly astray from what actually happened, from silence on the Fukushima disaster, not contributing in any way to the hunt for Osama Bin-Laden, to the more ordinary accounts in the media that failed to pan out at all, including those that were so vague and highly probable as to be sadly trivial in their fulfillment, and highly forgettable in any case.
I know — paranormal believers will consider that mean and disrespectful — but I’m Troythulu, not mellow like Carl Sagan was, so snarkitudinosity (is that a word?) comes with the package.
Of course, given our tendency to ignore and forget that which doesn’t stand out to us emotionally vs that which does, positive or negative, most people will not even remember many of these predictions, bated breath at the time they were made or not.
So enjoy the holiday, and thanks ahead of time for one great year of blogging and meeting awesomely cosmic people like you!
- Happy Festivus… Almost! Air Your Grievances With Us Today! (fresh1027.radio.com)
- Festivus Finds for the Rest of Us (mimosasinbed.com)
- For the Rest of Us (succumbingtomyawesomeness.wordpress.com)
- Second Annual Festivus for the Rest of Us Holiday Party (steelcityskeptics.net)
- The 10 Best Cities for Festivus (usnews.com)
- Second Annual Festivus for the Rest of Us Heathens & Infidels Holiday Party: 12/18/2011 at Church Brew Works (steelcityskeptics.net)